The Robert Penn Warren Prize for Fiction
Prize Rules and Submission Guidelines
You are invited to enter short stories in the competition for the Robert Penn Warren Prize for Fiction, which will be awarded in January, 2000 exclusively by The Southerner. Prize winners will be eligible for cash prizes and publication in future issues of the magazine.
1. Only short stories with Southern themes, characters or settings will be considered.
2. Only published novelists and short story authors are considered published writers for the purposes of this contest. Poets and those who have published nonfiction, including journalists, may enter in the unpublished author category.
3. Send stories and make out entry fee checks to The Southerner, UT Box 8820, Knoxville, TN, 37996, by October 15, 1999. Include your name, home address, e-mail address, phone number and the entry category in a cover letter. DO NOT include your name on the title page or inside manuscript pages. Each story will be assigned an entry number and judged in peer review fashion. No manuscripts will be returned except in hardship cases with an SASE.
4. Try keeping story submissions under 5,000 words, please. Simultaneous and multiple submissions are welcome.
5. In consideration of their prize awards, contest winners will assign ONLY First Electronic Rights to The Southerner.
6. The names of contest winners will be published in a future issue of The Southerner.
7. No member of The Southerner staff is eligible to enter. Judges will be published writers, editors and university professors.
8. Void where prohibited by law. Rules are subject to change.
Copyright © The Southerner 1998. Illustration by Christopher Bookout.